RSS

Sanctuary


I spent the morning with Corbin today at a Catfish pond in Mesquite. We arrived, chose our fishing spot and got everything setup. Ahh a relaxing morning in the sun...just the guys. Amidst the barrage of "Hey Daddy" and "LOOK DADDY HE GOT A BIG ONE!" I did find sanctuary.

Websters defines sanctuary as "a sacred or holy place". When I think of sacred places for me several images stir:


  • Mountain vacations in Colorado


  • Hotrod shows with Dad


  • Walking and laughing with Mom


  • Being anywhere with Kim

I found a new sanctuary today.



  • It's outdoors

  • It's quiet (I said it's quiet..not we're quiet)


  • It involves a pond of fish


  • It includes fishing poles and the required equipment (boats optional)


  • Good conversation (like, why is the sky blue today and why does chicken liver stink)

  • Hugs, laughs and smiles

  • A 4 year old son
It's interesting to me how Daddys and sons define things differently. You see, for Daddy relaxing means a cold drink, shady spot, quiet focus on the task and most of all time with family. For Corbin relaxing meant picking up dried horse poop with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Different paths...same goal. Mission accomplished.

Few things I learned and thought I'd share...


  • Fish, evidently come from fishsticks (at least according to Corbin)


  • Catfish won't eat Chicken Livers on a hot day...but a hungry dog will


  • A cold Sprite tastes good...and fizzes when you poor it on grass (thanks Corbin)


  • Dragonflies really are cool to look at


  • Speed fishing won't catch fish but it's probably the best way to frustrate them (and I admit it's kinda fun)

  • Horse poop is just the right size for needle nose pliers

I found myself thinking of Papo today...actually the last couple of days as we prepared for this little outing. I wondered if he got as excited as I did the night before a fishing trip. I wondered if I was able to share some of life's simplicities with him? I discovered why he woke up at 4am with his young grandson...and enjoyed it. I realized how easy it is to connect with someone when life's daily chaos is stripped away.


I found a new sanctuary...it's one that moves. A state rather than a place. I look forward to creating the setting again soon.

Thank you Papo for sharing your sanctuary, your sacred place with me. It is a place and a state I hold sacred still and am honored to carry on with my child.

Thank you Corbin for joining me in that sacred place and showing me how to again marvel in the simple wonders.

Thank you son for taking the time to explore life your way.

0 comments: